Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Morning Birds and other Stuff

Although I can tell from my waistline my training hasn't been fantastic either I do have a couple games I play while pounding the pavement. Now these are a bit corny so don't make fun of me but it's whatever it takes!

Did you know there is some kind of bird that sings the first song of the day - every day between 5:30 a.m. and 5:45 a.m. It's still pitch dark and that all inspiring bird greats me when I run to Starbucks. It's a 'thing' now. I HAVE to be outside when she sings to me. I just KNOW she's some kind of a guardian angel. I swear - EVERY MORNING she's somewhere in the trees singing to me and what's REALLY cool is there is normally no one outside at that time except me and her! This is only a mile a day but every mile counts!

I also do quite a bit of pretending while I'm walking. Raven, my best dog friend and fierce protector, is always with me and we are usually on an undercover mission of some type. (stop laughing at me) We are almost always chasing bad guys. Raven pretends she is a super trained K-9 and I, of course, am a secret international CIA agent. Warning - this mission only works when it's dark outside because Raven tends to get distracted and hunts squirrels if it's daytime.

I also have a self inflicted point system. Did my team realize just how neurotic I am? The goal is to get 10 points a run/walk but you can make your own rules :). I start with 0 points. If I skip two blocks without stopping I earn 3 points. If I speed walk for a mile, there's another 3. Just make up your own rules as you go. However, I lose points for stuff like not jumping over a curb or not walking backwards for 10 seconds every time I see a yellow car.

I know this is all insane but it keeps me going and relieves some of the boredom of long training walks!

THE MAIN IDEA HERE IS GETTING THE MILES UNDER YOUR BELT AND REMEMBERING JUST WHY WE ARE DOING THIS. ONE IN EIGHT.

1 comment:

Merrily said...

In my world of toddlers this all seems quite normal to me. :)